Newark Opens New Site to Obtain Municipal ID

By Gery Vereau Newark Mayor Ras J. Baraka, Deputy Mayor of Community Engagement Jacqueline Quiles and members of the City Council inaugurated a new center to apply for the city’s municipal ID, at 201 Bloomfield Ave. in the north side of the city. Baraka said that by launching the center – the third to open in the city – Newark is looking to be friendlier and hospitable to its immigrants, “because the progress of the city rests on the development and growth of its immigrants, and a municipal ID will allow them to integrate better.” For her part, Quiles said that she chose to open this center at its location because the area is home to a large Latino population. “With this identification, regardless of their immigration status, we want immigrants to feel part of our city,” she said. “On one occasion, I came in contact with people who had had a fire in their home, had lost everything and didn’t know where to go because they had all their money at home and had no bank account,” said the deputy mayor. Felícita Rivera, from Mexico State, Mexico, said that she was the first person to turn to Newark’s Vince Lombardi Center to apply for a municipal ID. She arrived in Dallas, Texas, 19 years ago after crossing the border, and told Diario de México USA that the ID will come in handy for everything, from opening a bank account to borrowing books at the library, and that she will feel safer walking in the streets. Rivera will pay $7 for the document because she is a senior. The ID fee is also $7 for minors, while its regular cost is $15. The Newark municipal ID program has served 10,000 people since it opened in July 2015. Applicants must present proof of identity and of a local address with documents totaling six points. There are no figures specifying how many Mexicans have obtained the document to date. Documents that may be used to obtain a Newark Municipal ID Proof of identity Consular ID card Foreign passport Notarized rental agreement Proof of child enrollment in school (for minors) Driver’s license Proof of address (pay stub, letter from church or social services, or electric, cable or landline phone bills).

Voices of NY

Posted by on Oct 14 2016. Filed under Community News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply